Thursday, April 12, 2012

O Canada - Support Local Football

Country Not Club

If you read my blog then you know that I am passionate about supporting your team week in, week out, no matter the outcome.  I am no less passionate about supporting our country's team in their attempt to qualify for the 2014 World Cup.  The effect of the 12th man is a measurable one for a team whether it be Club or Country.

  I am new to seeing Canada's Men's National Team play, having not attended a match until last year when I went to the matches in October and November. I wish I had not waited so long to see one of the teams that represent our country play; I had no idea what I was missing. What I can tell you is that it was one of the best experiences of my life; not only as a lover of the beautiful game but as a proud Canadian. To stand shoulder to shoulder with a sea of passionate, loud, hopeful Canadians while you cheer not just a team but your country on to victory? It's amazing and exhilarating and well, just plain wonderful.

Today you'll have likely read many posts and pleas from people that I know and respect imploring everyone to buy tickets and come out to support your country. Even having attended only two matches it is frustrating to look out into the stands and see another country's colours filling the seats everywhere other than the South Stands; or worse seeing a sea of empty seats. This isn't just about love for the beautiful game - this is about supporting your country - a chance to spur them on as they try to get to the World Cup. You and I can make a difference; having a stadium full of Canadian supporters can make the difference for our team; the question is will you be there with us?

There are 4 matches taking place at BMO Field between June and October (June 3rd in a friendly against the US, June 12, WCQ vs. Honduras, Sept. 7, WCQ vs. Panama and Oct. 12, WCQ vs. Cuba).  If you live in the GTA and surrounding area there is no excuse for you to not attend at least one of these matches! Bring your friends, your family, your neighbours!  I've already bought a bunch of tickets for all of the matches because I WILL be there and I will bring as many people with me as I possibly can. Just one game; that's all I'm asking. Just One Game, because that is all it will take - after that one game you'll wonder why you never came out to support and watch and scream and wonder before. So please, Get out and Support Local Football!

If you aren't swayed by my arguments please read this post by Squizz over at CSN and then this one by Dave over at Waking The Red.  Now that you're convinced, because you are convince right? (and are planning on convincing others) go to the Voyageurs site for tickets right now or visit Ticketmaster starting tomorrow.  See you on June 3rd!

SEE THEE RISE

No comments:

Post a Comment